It would be kind of cool on vinyl. Have a good social d mix playing in the background at a party. Glass half full.
If they would only include sickboy,1945,
mainliner, telling them, dear lover and let it be me this disc would be....the same as it is with the 10 songs listed. I'm not sure what your all thinking but a GH disc is ideally to broaden your fan base so after buying it someone might continue on with the catalog and become a true fan, or pessimistically to fulfill ones contract. Either way it shouldn't amount to a hill of shit to anyone here.
It would be kind of cool on vinyl. Have a good social d mix playing in the background at a party. Glass half full.
A hill of shit? lol. The difference is that Social D usually isn't like alot of popular bands. They release albums only when they're good, and with good reason. This release, minus the new song, just seems like something another average commercial band would let the label throw out for a few bucks. That's why everyone is making a big deal out of it. Besides that, 11 songs does not sound like a disc with all the greatest hits Social D has to over. A new fan base listening to it would barely even scratch the surface. Fuck, I bet Fallout Boy could even scrounge together enough songs for at least 13.
It's just a greatest hits album, not a big deal. If I knew that Mike was behind this because he's worked hard for 20+ years, lived on the road for years at a time, and he's proud of these songs and wants this to be a catalyst for people to listen to the previous albums more power to him. Part of the appeal of the band is the work ethic and Mike's my way or the highway type attitude. Unfortunately this looks like a manger said, "Hey, want to make some money?" It just seems too cheap and easy for Social D.
You'd think at LEAST they could offer quality remastering of the older tracks. They need it...
<font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Cheap Trick cover? How did I miss this? Where can I find it?Maybe throw in "Death or Glory" and the Cheap Trick cover they were working on for good measure?!
Some artists have a habbit of putting out one album a year and all the songs on those records are brilliant (Steve Earle comes to mind). But Mike was never like that...there were always extremely long periods of time between releases.
In other news, it's funny that you mention steve earle, i actually just did an interview with him about the album he's currently working on. due out in september, and gonna be brilliant again [img]smile.gif[/img]
Given the fact that Mike Ness does not own the rights to the Sony-labeled recorded tracks on 'Self Titled' and 'Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell', my money is on that Social D will have re-recorded those particular songs for the greatest hits album.
Moreover, all the die-hard fans here can probably list at least 25 songs that they would consider 'classic' Social-D and greatest hits material. I would have to argue that the casual fan, or newbie would not share the same view.
I believe The Greatest Hits album is fine as it is if you were to take a marketing perspective.
All us hardcore fans know that 'The Roxy', and any number of the fine bootlegs that SDSickboy has to offer would constitute a greatest hits album for us specifically.
Dave
They ain?t got the rights to their songs? I read in a german Interview w/ Dennis Dannell from the late ?90s that they bought the rights to theirs Songs from the early ?90s back in ?98. Does somebody here know what is true?
I think that they own the rights os the majorlabel records.
But 10 songs for 25 years? That?s not really cool and unlovely. And for new fans? You could download songs everywhere.
I understand if they not updated their homepage every day but the GH is a fucked up idea. I don?t think that Mike would buy a record like this.
<font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Hahahaha, that's a very good point to makeOriginally posted by ludeboy_79:
I don?t think that Mike would buy a record like this.
Bookmarks